Friday, October 8, 2010

Friday Night Lights - Farragut vs. Bearden

I was excited about this week's game because I was going to be able to see Devrin Young run against a legitimate defense and not Walker Valley, which was more like a clown show. My dad and one of my friends from back home, Troy, were able to make it out to this match up and as soon as we got to the stadium I left them in the dust to try and make it 7-0 on the fake press pass. Worked like a charm. I started thinking, if I carried myself like I belonged, I'm fairly confident that I could walk onto the field, grab a headset, and call plays with my press pass clipped to my side. This thing is gold.

It was pretty crowded when we arrived, but we were able to get pretty good seats on about the 35 yard line. I hadn't been in my seat more then 5 minutes before a woman sitting in front of me asked why I had a note pad. When I explained why, she suggested I cover the district volleyball games. Not a chance lady. Farragut's pregame entrance rivals that of Oak Ridge as the players walked through the stands, then down some steps. Actually I think I like the Admirals entrance better.

The way the fans reacted when seeing the players coming through the stands reminded me of the Vol Walk.

Bearden received to start the game and had two third down conversions on their opening drive but had to punt. Farragut used a 50 yard run on a QB keeper from Cody Rule to set up a 43 yard field goal from Jonathan King that gave the Admirals an early 3-0 lead. Farragut may have been able to score a touchdown on the drive but multiple penalties inside the red zone killed the drive. The field goal attempt made me realized just how short the uprights are on the goal posts at Farragut. It seems like it would be very advantageous to extend the uprights to a reasonable height.

It looks like they just painted two pencils white and stuck them on top of some PVC pipe.

It was time for the Devrin Young show to begin at this point. Young broke off runs of 31 and 25 yards, then on another run, Young absolutely demolished a Farragut linebacker. As I was laughing at this, Troy pointed out that his parents were sitting in front of us. This isn't the first time Young as caused me to laugh at a player whose parents were sitting directly in front of me. Reference the Bearden vs. Walker Valley post. A scramble by the Bearden QB, Kyle Riemer, ended the Bearden drive with a touchdown putting the Bulldogs ahead 7-3. My dad pointed out that with a name like Riemer, pronounced Ream-er, the headline possibilities are endless. It looked like Bearden may take control of the game after Stefon Stephens intercepted a pass from Cody Rule, however shortly there after, Riemer was intercepted by Taino Perez and we were back to square one. Cody Rule again used his legs and this time it was for an Admiral touchdown making it 10-3.

There were alot of Farragut students walking around the stadium in jorts and over hauls. My friend Troy brought up a great point. How can they make fun of Campbell Countians when they are wearing the same type of things. Again, high school students are high school students no matter where you go. Anyway, after Devrin Young broke off a nice 28 yard run, he missed a blocking assignment which allowed Brooks Harper to make a great hit on Jerron Brown as he tried to run up the middle. Bearden had to settle for a field goal which made the halftime score 10-10. At halftime, the Bearden band might as well have had Les Miles watching the clock. They went all out blitz and left the Farragut band only 92 seconds to fit in 5 songs. The Farragut band literally took formation on the field, stood there for about 8 seconds, then walked off the field.

The third quarter started with a great drive from Farragut. The Admirals were very methodical and were able to drive down and again have Cody Rule run the ball into the end zone. Bearden got the ball back trailing 17-10. After a first down, Farragut's outside linebacker, Robbie Leonard, went down with what appeared to be a broken leg. While the medical staff were tending to him, a streaker sprinted across the far end zone. You stay classy Farragut.

When play resumed, Devrin Young broke off a 40 yard run, then caught a seam pass that covered a little over 20 yards for a touchdown tying the game once again at 17. The more I am able to watch Young play, the happier I become that he is going to be in orange next year. This kid is amazing in space and I believe he will be able to do some special things at Tennessee. Cody Rule would not be out done by Young however. It seemed like he wanted to show just how athletic he was after every big play by Young. Rule came out on the ensuing Farragut drive and called his own number for 65 yards before being tackled at the Bearden 7.

Rule reminded me alot of this guy.

Farragut went to Taino Perez on a sweep for the score, putting the Admirals ahead 24-17. Bearden, predictably, turned to Devrin Young. He delivered and after a swing pass for a touchdown was negated by a penalty, Young went 23 yards for a touchdown. The extra point was blocked however and the Bulldogs still trailed 24-23.

The Bearden defense held to start the forth quarter, and after an incredible escape maneuver from Riemer, Tyler Callaway reeled in a pass for a huge 3rd down conversion. Ultimately Bearden was just able to get a field goal putting them ahead 26-24. As the game began to tighten up at the end, the guy sitting in front of me became more involved. His emotions began to get the best of him, and his reactions to each play became more and more animated. I begin to worry he was going to hit me in the face. After Farragut fumbled and Bearden recovered inside the Bearden 20, I was afraid he was going to jump head first out of the stands. After Braden Urevick played incredible defense on a long third down pass, I wondered if anyone has ever jumped higher. After Farragut scored the go ahead touchdown on a seam route to Madison Brown, I wondered if this guy was the happiest person alive. When Farragut converted the 2 point conversion attempt to go up 32-26 and he hugged me, I wondered if he was gay and if I needed to move before things go out of hand.

Bearden was forced into their 2 minute offense and it was incredibly effective. I don't believe I have ever seen a high school team be so effective running a two minute offense. A critical 4th down conversion allowed the Bulldogs to keep playing, but two incomplete passes on 3rd and 4th and goal ended what turned out to be another great battle for west Knoxville. After Farragut had won 32-26, the two teams had shaken hands, and the students had stormed the field, which is surprisingly not rare in high school football apparently, the Farragut band took the field to perform.

The Admiral band was going to perform come hell or high water, and you know who couldn't have been happier about it? . . .

THIS GUY!

No comments:

Post a Comment