Sunday, September 11, 2011

Saturdays In The Fall - Cincinnati vs. Tennessee

It would be extremely hard to beat how beautiful it was to start the day Saturday. Of course I got to spend the morning working but I was still excited about the game. It seemed like everyone that walked into the office was heading to tailgate which got me even more amped because that meant the crowd would be bigger than last week. We had to go and pick up some cars at the airport after we closed and I discovered where the Cincinnati team stayed. The Hyatt at the airport. It was information that would have been great to have known on Friday but what's done is done.

I checked the weather report this week before heading to the stadium. High of 85, sunny with only a few clouds, 10% chance of rain. With this knowledge now at my disposal, I grabbed a backpack and stuffed it full of Ziploc bags, Rain jacket and pants, towels, and a blow up dingy. I wasn't going to get fooled again.

I got to the stadium a bit late and basically just had to go straight to the stadium. Unable to meet up with any of my com padres who were in the student section, I ended up sitting with my dad for the first half. After Cincinnati broke off a 65 yard game to open up the scoring I started worrying that this would be a "whoever has the ball last will win" type of game. While I was happy with Marlin Lane scoring a touchdown on the ensuing Tennessee drive, it did little to make me think any different. Dooley really let them hang on the kickoff though when he called for the onside kick which led to a Justin Hunter touchdown reception. Cincy scored on their ensuing drive however and there we were again at 14-14.

If you want to beat Florida, just have 9 guys protect Bray, and send this guy on a Go route.

Tennessee started to really impress me when the defense stepped up and didn't allow another Cincinnati score until about seven minutes left in the third quarter while in the mean time scoring two more touchdowns in the second quarter, both to Da'Rick Rogers, and then another one to start the third quarter when Tyler Bray called his own number on a quarterback sneak. Bray looked like Joe Montana all day. His final stat line was amazing. He was 34 of 41 for 405 yards and 4 touchdowns. He accounted for 5 total touchdowns for the Vols. Over two games he has completed 78% of his passes.

2 weeks into the season and I'm comfortable in saying that this young man is going to be in New York City in December.

At this point I fully expect Tennessee to win every game by 30 points or more, and anything less than a National Championship would be a disappointment. I know next week will be a true test. Florida has one of the most talented teams in the country. They are ranked #16 in the polls and have a lengthy streak of wins against us. However, with the new coaching staff in Gainesville and the momentum that we have going, this could be the year that Tennessee gets past the Gators. Viewing party at my apartment for those interested. I'm sure there will be plenty to talk about around 8pm. Go Vols!

No comments:

Post a Comment