Monday, September 5, 2011

Saturdays In The Fall - Montana vs. Tennessee

This year I thought I might step my game up a little bit and try my hand at blogging every Tennessee game instead of every high school football game. Plus I feel like it will reach a bigger audience. What better way to start of the college football season than with a game against one of the best D-2 teams in the country in Montana. I hadn't been this stoked for a game since who knows when. Of course I am being sarcastic, it was Montana. Either way it's a good way to get my feet wet. Literally.

I had to work until twelve Saturday so I decided to wear my UT polo to the office. My boss walked in and immediately asked me what kind of shirt I was wearing. I responded with the obvious answer, "A Tennessee polo." He inquired as to whether or not I was allowed to wear this shirt and after I responded with "I don't know" he informed me I couldn't. HOLD ON PLAYA!! IT'S GAME DAY ON ROCKY TOP!!! I AM GOING TO WEAR MY ORANGE!!!

After making my way to campus, I met up with some friends with whom I had decided to sneak into the student section with. After sitting in the blazing sun for over two hours watching the band march and then waiting for the game to start, just as the band finished the National Anthem, the game was delayed an hour and forty minutes. I was incredibly amazed at how quickly it went from being 102 degrees outside at 5:30pm to a complete monsoon at 6:00pm. I immediately began to worry about the future of my phone which was getting soaked in my pocket.

According to the person at Apple, water to a phone is like cancer to a human. If that's the case is this monsoon like walking straight through a nuclear reactor butt naked???

After pulling some McGyver skills out of my back pocket, slitting a seat cushion open and throwing my phone in there for protection, it was time to actually start this game against a sub par team. I was a bit worried when Tennessee had to use a trick play to score their first touchdown. I had made fun of Auburn earlier in the day for having to use a trick play to score against Utah State. I hadn't learned my lesson about taunting something with the hail storm in April. I feel like my brother text me to remind me of that taunt to Auburn before Da'Rick Rogers had even crossed the goal line off the flea flicker.

I would like to take credit for the play call on the second touchdown. I told my friends what they should do is just have 9 guys block and send Justin Hunter on a get open. Sure enough Bray stepped back and hit Hunter on a post route for an huge touchdown pass. After that it was Marlon Lane's turn, then Art "Burnt Toast" Evans surprised me by actually not getting torched but getting an interception. I nearly passed out when he crossed the goal line. Poole scored and so the game went. Sure Montana got a safety and scored a couple of touchdowns but overall Tennessee absolutely dominated. I'll put more effort into the recap of the game next week seeing as how an actual football team will be in the stadium.

Dooley: Good game guy
Montana Coach: Not only did you whip us, but you did it wearing those pants. Touche!

No comments:

Post a Comment