Friday, September 3, 2010

Friday Night Lights - Anderson County vs. Campbell County

I graduated from Campbell County in 2005. When I put my schedule of games to attend together I knew I wanted to go to at least 1 CCHS game, and tonight's game was the one I wanted to go to. When I was in high school we were never able to play ACHS but it was a huge rival none the less. Kids who felt they would get a better chance at getting a scholarship to play football would go to high school at Anderson County after going to middle school at Jacksboro or LaFollette. This created the mindset at Campbell County that we weren't good enough and seemed to always give the Cougars a chip on their shoulder.

There is a big difference between big time high school football, and just a high school football game. Tonight that difference was very obvious. This was the first game I had been to this year where there hadn't been a single D-1 prospect on the field for either school. Just one player of such caliber can make a difference in a game. Devrin Young was the difference in the Bearden game that I went to, and in the Maryville game there were numerous players on both sides of the ball that will be playing on Saturdays very soon. Tonight it was just two teams full of kids that want to be like the players they watch on TV but will more than likely never be able to have someone watch them.

The Anderson County PA announcer was introducing the starting lineups when I realized the intro music being played was that of the Chicago Bulls from the Jordan era. At any moment I was expecting to hear, "At guard, 6'6 from North Carolina, MICHAEL JORDAN!" While the remaining names were announced and the Jock Jams Volume 1 CD played, Hef, one of the friends that had come with me, pointed out that a Maverick, which is Anderson County's mascot, is a horse and not a longhorn which had been painted at midfield. As we looked around, we noticed a lot of the shirts for AC had the Chicago Bulls logo on them. Again I will point out that a Maverick is a horse. Not only did they have the wrong animal, but the logo's horns were so long that it resembled the female reproductive system more so then a longhorn.

Correct


Incorrect

Just before kickoff the sound of a cow mooing was played over the loud speakers. I don't really feel like this needs to be commented on any further to describe how ridiculous this was. AE, a friend that I met at the game, commented about how sharp the AC coaching staff looked. Looking across the sideline at the CCHS coaching staff, it looked as if the Campbell County staff were ready to go across the parking lot to the gym and play a pick up game of basketball. The coaches were in matching black athletic shorts with the CCHS logo on one leg, and blue t-shirts with the Cougar logo on the chest.

Following a defensive stop by Campbell County, the Cougars went three and out and decided to punt. The only problem was that the punt only went about 9 yards from the line of scrimmage. This gave the ball to AC on the CCHS 35. Needless to say the Mavericks scored. It became a scoring frenzy for Anderson County after that. Something I did not understand was after every single score, the entire Maverick team would huddle up and jump around, much like Lane Kiffin's teams would do before the 4th quarter began. I didn't understand it then, and I really didn't understand it now. 


After every single score. . . Is it really necessary?

Campbell County had just one score the entire game, and that was on a fluke defensive play. The Anderson County QB attempted to pitch the ball to the RB just when a CCHS defensive lineman hit him, making the ball fly skywards and back about 15 yards. Another CCHS player was able to scoop and score on the play giving the Cougars their only touchdown of the game. Anderson County won 56-7 making it two years straight the Mavericks have beat the Cougars. Again, I found that I should have attended a different game, this time being Farragut vs. Catholic. Catholic scored in the closing minutes to win 21-18.

Next week I plan on attending Austin East vs. Catholic. While I don't expect to see a grown man in a super hero costume, which was the case tonight, I do expect to see an incredible halftime show from the Austin East marching band. After tonight's game I have also amended my schedule of games to get rid of the CCHS games. The new list is below. Let me know what you think.




3 comments:

  1. Actually, a Maverick is unbranded calf that has wondered off on its own away from the herd. just saying

    ReplyDelete
  2. So like a retarded Cow. . . the AC mascot is a retarded cow. . . ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go to Anderson county high school and needless to say it is a good school just bc are mascot is dumb doesn't mean AC is...I also play in the band witch is an amazing band and I have a brother on the football team

    ReplyDelete