Monday, September 27, 2010

Friday Night Lights - Midseason Report

So it’s the halfway point of the high school football season and I thought this would be a good time to give a midseason report.  Over the course of six weeks I have had the opportunity to watch ten teams play. In my opinion, out of those ten teams, one is a state champion, three others are more than likely going to be competing for a state title, and another is going to be right in the thick of things come November. Without further ado, here are ten thoughts I have from the first half of the high school football season.

1.  Alcoa is GOOD. I mean really good. I will go ahead and say right now that the Tornados are going to win the state championship. On the year Alcoa has three shutouts, has only allowed a total of ten points outside of the 31 they gave up to Maryville, and has scored a total of 274 points over six games. The Alcoa running game is phenomenal and I believe anyone will be hard pressed to slow them down. There are a number of players on that squad that I believe whole heartedly will be playing on Saturdays.

2. Kyler Kerbyson does not impress me at all. I got to watch him play at Austin East and my friend Ford and I had the same thought about him. During that game, he looked sick. If he wasn’t up field not blocking anyone, then he was five yards deep in the backfield because he was beat off the ball. I understand that with the right coaching and a weight program at Tennessee he may turn out to be an All American in college, but right now, I question why Tennessee even offered him.

3. If you want to have fun watching a high school football game, go to Austin East. Yes it’s in a rough part of Knoxville but trust me, the chicken wings alone is reason enough to make your way out for at least one game. The band is amazing to watch, and there are some serious athletes on the field for Austin East. Coaching is suspect so it’s even more impressive that Austin East is able to do the things they do on the field.

4. Anderson County is the Hawaii of high school football. Remember how June Jones was throwing up 700 yards passing every single game with the quarterbacks that no one remembers because they don’t play in the pros? Yea, Anderson County is a lot like that. I would be surprised if one player from the Mavericks makes it onto a legitimate division 1 roster.

Yea, remember Colt Brennan. . . didn't think so.

5. Campbell County is Campbell County again. After a nice run that included a handful of playoff appearances from 2004-2008, the Cougars are 0-6 and have maybe one chance left on the schedule to get out of the funk. It is amazing to me that some die hard Cougar fans still think that a certain player is good enough to play college ball. Reality is he isn’t.

6. Devrin Young on the other hand is a beast.

7. The fans of Maryville High School are next level. It was amazing to me that people were nearly 2 miles away from the stadium before the Alcoa game tailgating. It reminded me a lot of a Tennessee game the way traffic was backed up 2 hours before kickoff, people tailgating everywhere, having to pay for parking in most places.

8. I hate high school students, although it is funny to watch some of the male students try to spit game at the girls.

9. I’m pretty good at making fake press passes. Since I have had mine, it has worked every single time. I keep wondering when someone is going to be able to scan the bar code I pulled from Google.com and slapped onto the pass. I actually am rooting for this to happen just to see what it says. Also, if you play your cards right, you can probably get away with showing them a Kroger card and the pass gate person would believe it was a press pass. I literally just cropped someone out of the picture I used. Their hand is still on my shoulder even. I laugh every time.

10. Hand prints are overly popular as an option for painting up. I can’t think of a game I have gone to this year where the students who were painted up for the game didn’t have a hand print on them. It got crazy when at Hardin Valley I saw a girl with a hand print on her eye. Who thought this was a good idea or that it looked cool?

OK other than Mike Tyson, who thought this was a good idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment