Friday, September 10, 2010

Friday Night Lights - Austin East vs. Catholic

Other than the Maryville vs. Alcoa game, this was the game I was most looking forward to on my schedule. I had never seen Austin East play and I had heard that their band was amazing. I always love a good band so I was excited to watch for myself. Let me also just say, that since beginning this blog, I have been asked to contribute to the Tennessee high school Rivals site, TNVarsity.com. This partnership was allowing me to gain free admission to the games I decided to attend by contacting the home school and getting my name on the pass list. Well this week was a little different because the Austin East principal emailed me back and said I would need to show my press pass at the gate. The problem with this was that I had no press pass, so I made one in word, laminated it, got a fancy clip, and then used it to get into the game. It's probably one of the crowning achievements in my college career.

Pretty legitimate if you ask me.

I picked up my friend Ford who went with me to the Bearden game and we headed to Austin East. We quickly decided it may be best for us to sit on the Catholic sideline for safety reasons. Ford got some popcorn which had enough butter on it to last a week. I went for the chili dog but I think both of us would have rather gotten the fried chicken legs that were being sold at a stand behind one of the end zones. The Catholic band began playing during warm-ups, which really wasn't a big deal, until the bagpipe joined. I must admit I was even more surprised when the Catholic bagpipe player led the team onto the field.


You can't see him, but trust me. . . he's there.

The opening kickoff crossed the goal line and was immediately ruled a touch back. Let me just say, this is the dumbest rule in High School football. What purpose does this rule serve? What is the difference in catching the ball a yard deep in the end zone and catching the ball on the one? Get rid of this rule! 

Running back Nolan Coulter of Catholic absolutely was ready to play tonight. He reminded me a bit of Devrin Young of Bearden the way he was hitting the holes and making his way upfield. Catholic marched down the field but a holding penalty negated a touchdown run and then Catholic fumbled inside the Austin East 10 yard line. Austin East began a drive of their own, in which running back Cordy Cox channeled Hershel Walker and destroyed Catholic's Michael Bonfini. Cox threw Bonfini aside like a rag doll in route to a run that gained about 25 yards. The fumble bug hit the Roadrunners as well though and the two teams took turns driving down the field then either would have their drive stall or turn the ball over. Just as I was noticing the AE color guard stretching for the halftime show however, Catholic's QB Mike Wegzyn completed a jump ball to Patrick Haun to put the Irish up 7-0 at halftime.

Now was the point in the game that I had been waiting for. Austin East's band and fans did not disappoint. As the band played "All I Do Is Win" and a kid in the top of the stadium threw down moves that I had only seen from Michael Jackson, the marching roadrunners won yet another halftime show. It was by far the most entertaining thing I have seen in a long while.


This is the AE band. It was at this point I wished I had remembered my camera.

Catholic opened the second half by kicking a short squib kick, recovering it, and then proceeding the swiftly put the ball in the end zone again to take a 14-0 lead. On the ensuing Austin East drive, not only did I notice that the chicken stand's line had not gotten any smaller since I had arrived, but I also noticed that Cordy Cox for AE, was a play maker. On a busted screen play, Cordy made one of the most remarkable catches I believe I have ever seen by pulling down a pass with one hand that was at least 10 feet above him. This catch ended the 3rd quarter and to start the 4th, Austin East QB Donald Oggs went Seneca Wallace circa 2002 and scored on a QB scramble from about 8 yards out after running for what seemed like 3 years to put the Roadrunners on the board 14-6. The extra point attempt was probably the worst I have ever seen. Ford pointed out that this attempt made the Walker Valley kicker look like a Groza Award winner.

An Austin East interception gave the Roadrunners a chance to pull even closer, but yet another turnover gave Catholic the chance to go up 20-6. Another botched PAT try kept the Irish from making it 21-6. I think you should be made aware that the Catholic coach's mom was in attendance tonight. She sat right behind Ford and me and the only time she stopped shaking her milk carton full of beans and kept quiet, was during the halftime show. It was nothing short of inspiring. She was never more loud than after a terrible call by the referees, in which a Roadrunner ball carrier fumbled on the Catholic 1 with the ball bouncing out of bounds after crossing the goal line, put Austin East within one score instead of giving the Irish the ball on the 20. 

The Roadrunners took advantage of this however, and an inspired defense gave the Austin East offense the ball back with enough time to tie the game. Austin East looked more efficient than they had the entire game on their final drive, but on a 4th and 1 on the Catholic 2, the Irish defense made a stand and time expired. A great game with a great halftime show and a great finish, these are the kind of games I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment