Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday Night Lights - Powell vs. Anderson County

This Friday's game actually started at Hardin Valley Academy for Ford and me. My alma mater was playing the Hardin Valley Hawks and I had the opportunity to do a quick pregame interview on the radio with Josh Parker, The Voice of the Cougars. Our conversation could not have been any broader, but I enjoyed it. We were able to talk about things ranging from the article I write for TNVarsity.com to my work with One Vision International and my experience in Haiti. After we finished, Ford and I made our way to Powell High School where the Panthers were taking on the Mavericks.

Before I get into that game, I am going to clarify a previous post in which I made fun of Anderson County using a long horn as a Maverick, saying a Maverick was a horse. In fact, Merriam-Webster states that a maverick is, "1: an unbranded range animal; especially: a motherless calf. 2: an independent individual who does not go along with a group or party." While I admit my fault on the horse statement, I will point out the second definition, an independent individual who does not go along with a group or party.

Part of the Herd??? Explain this.

We got to the stadium and were lucky to run into one of my Gator loving friends. He had two seats just in front of him so we sat there for the first half. The game was scoreless after the first quarter and learned that after just 4 mins of the Hardin Valley vs. Campbell County game, Hardin Valley was up 14-0. I was extremely glad we chose to leave. 

Powell ran a middle screen to start the 2nd quarter, going from their own 30 yd line to the Anderson county yard line. A few plays later, Powell's star running back Dy'shawn Mobley scored on a run from 2 yards out putting the Panthers up 6-0. After Anderson County went 3 and out, Powell handed the ball to Mobley again and he went for 28 yards. Powell quarterback Dustin McPhetridge took the ball in from 2 yards out to put the Panthers up 14-0 after a 2 point conversion. The Dy'shawn Mobley show continued on Powell's next possession as he took a handoff to the house from 38 yards out. Suddenly it was 20-0 Panthers, and the Campbell County gamed seemed a lot more appetizing after my Gator friend informed me it was now 14-14.

Powell scored again just before halftime to make it 26-0 and it was obvious the Anderson county offense had absolutely unraveled. It was obvious they had recovered during the halftime break though, as they took the opening drive of the 2nd half and scored. With the score now being 26-6 I was hoping the AC defense would be able to get some stands and make this a game.

The only touchdown pass AC had all night.

Powell continued to run away with the game, with Darian Logan scoring yet another rushing touchdown for the Panthers. Anderson County was able to counter that one with a rushing touchdown of their own with a sweep play. Powell did what they do best though with another touchdown run from Darian Logan. The Panthers converted on the 2 point conversion again, making it 42-14, which would be the final.

Two observations from the game tonight. Powell is extremely well coached and Anderson County has quite possibly the best away jerseys of any school I have seen thus far. Powell knew exactly what they wanted to do and was very organized in executing their game plan. My friend Ford pointed out that it was obvious the Panthers had a program in place to allow their players to succeed. They took advantage of the momentum gained from the first touchdown and never really let up. All AC had going for them in this game were their uniforms. Most of you by now are very familiar with the Nike Pro Combat uniforms. These are the type of uniforms that Anderson County had. I was simply amazed to see them on a high school field, and they looked sharp!


Looked just like this, except blue and silver instead of purple and gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment